BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, August 7, 2009

"It's cute... not saying I like it, but it's cute..."

- Sarah's opinion of this little arrangement.



I had been feeling sad about cutting Black-eyed Susans because they almost always have little baby buds on the stem that are too low to fit in the arrangement, but too high to avoid being cut along with the main flower. But today I decided to try sticking them in their own little vase instead of throwing them away, and they ended up looking better than I imagined they would!


This is the arrangement of Zinnias that I wanted the long Black-eyed Susans for. (It's kind of blurry, but the flash looked much worse.)

Sarah and I are very excited about Wicked coming to DPAC April/May 2010... but I am beginning to wonder if I shouldn't have a problem with the witches and wizards and magic in Wicked. After all, I rejected Harry Potter because of Christian objections to witchcraft and witches being portrayed in a good light. Glinda is a "good" witch. There is witchcraft in Wicked... flying on brooms and such. Wicked seems more like an innocent story than Harry Potter, but it still centers on witches who are supposed to be "good." I'm very torn. I feel that I should be objecting to Wicked too, but I've heard that it's such a good show, and I have the soundtrack and the music is fantastic... and it's not like I'm a child that could be fooled into thinking that real witches are good just by a show!

Also, J. K. Rowling (a professed witch) has said that she intended Harry Potter to encourage American children to experiment with witchcraft! Wicked is just another Broadway musical: typically slightly cheesy, with no mind-blowing intent beyond being a well-acted and well-sung musical... the witches are just another twist in a thread of musicals with all-too-similar romantic plots. Right? At least I have 8 months to think about it. Thoughts are welcome. =)

~Lizzie

4 random thoughts:

Jonathan David Page said...

Out of interest, where do get penny-size plant pots? ...not saying I want one...

Anonymous said...

If you made those out of artificial flowers, I think you could sell them!

Lizzie said...

J: I have a weakness for miniature pottery. I get them in Seagrove, NC where my mom, aunts, Sarah (sometimes) and I go annually to spend lots of money... =P

Thank you, Anonymous! I may try that. =)

Allie said...

I've had the same questions about wicked myself. I have a major issue with Potter, you know that. And so I wondered why I didn't have the same issue with Wicked as I did with Potter. And I realized that, even though there are witches and witchcraft in Wicked, if any spells are used outside of what they were created for, there are HUGE consequences. Examples: Elphaba is used by the Wizard for evil, Nessa casts a spell in anger which causes Boq's heart to shrink, the spells that Elphaba casts end up leading to evil in the end. Plus, it's treated as a fight of good vs. evil, where good ultimately wins. And the spells aren't actual spells, they're combinations of latin, greek, and egyptian words. I don't have the same issue with Wicked as I do with Potter, but I still am a little uncertain as to why the boundaries are different.