BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Siccing the Praying Mantis on the pests...


We have several little baby praying mantises that live on our seedling table (although the plants are desperately in need of planting now, and not really seedlings anymore... we're desperately trying to get them all planted!) but Mom found some odd little bugs on her eggplants... so we transferred a little praying mantis to the eggplant. We wanted to watch, but apparently he was kinda scared of us, and wasn't doing any hunting, so we left for a few seconds, and when we came back, he was holding one of the small green bugs in his... arms? Forelegs? Claws? ... whatever. Yeah. Those. It was really neat.


Also... some sad and slightly embarrassing news for me. The dress that I was so excited about making is not turning out well. It has odd pokes and bumps in very unfortunate places. The material isn't the best for the pattern design... and it's probably something I did wrong too, although I don't know what. It is a pretty easy pattern (maybe they skimped on parts that could have been harder, while looking more classy and smooth, to make it easier) and it went together pretty quickly, so I'm still hoping to fix it... but I don't really need it any more, because I found 2 cute dresses at Goodwill yesterday!! And I'm trying out water-fasting, so hopefully I'll lose enough weight to wear a third cute dress that has been hanging in my closet...

I was going to post pictures of them, but it's amazing how pathetic they look hanging on coat hangers... if anyone actually wants to see them, you may submit your request, and when/if I lose weight/fix a few things for them, then I might post pictures of me wearing them. =D

And this is my first day of just water. Daddy had decided to do a water-fast and on the second day of his preparations, I decided to jump in. All I've ever done before was a one-day water fast, and that was mostly because I didn't have much time to eat. In preparation, Daddy did a day of regular eating, but with no meat. Then we did a day of only raw fruits and vegetables. I had fruit juice for breakfast, a large apple for lunch and a huge salad with celery, bell pepper, tomatoes, black olives and sprouts for supper. The third day of prep was just juice. Strangely, I was more hungry yesterday than I am today.

It has been a very interesting experience so far. I slept better than usual last night, and woke up feeling very refreshed (which is unusual) but I have felt very slightly weak. Nothing to keep me from doing what I usually do, though, except, of course, vigorous exercise, like swimming or running.

~Lizzie

3 random thoughts:

Allie said...

out of curiosity, how long is this water fast going to last,and how healthy is it for you? I've honestly never heard of this....

Lizzie said...

I haven't decided yet. I'm just going to see how long I can go.

And it's really healthy, although no one will tell you so. You have to go into it right and break it correctly, though. It's a great way to detox and get rid of fat. And supposedly it makes you feel great at the end. Daddy says the first three days are the worst... I hope he's right, because I feel like jelly today.

N said...

Oh my...that really doesn't sound healthy. (I looked it up online.) I kind of see how it would work, but it just sounds risky to me.

Mostly I guess I'm not sure what I think about the whole detox thing anyway, which seems to be the main reason for doing a water fast.

I'm sorry your dress you were sewing isn't working! I hate it when that happens. :P