BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Wow, what a trip!

We managed to leave at 1:17am (only 17 minutes late!). It felt very odd, because I'd spent the whole day getting ready and I was ready to go to bed... but it was time to leave. I was hoping that I'd be ready to go in time to sleep about 2-3 hours before we left, but that didn't happen.

I made muffins and pizza rolls for breakfast and lunch on the way up. (They lasted for breakfast and lunch on the way back too, and we just ate the last pizza rolls.)


Pesto and sun-dried tomato pizza rolls.

Mixed-berry cornmeal muffins and blueberry muffins

Pizza rolls (recipe from Trina's blog). Originally pepperoni rolls... I made these with ground hamburger, and, like Trina, I put the sauce in the roll instead of dipping. Dipping was too messy for a car trip.

I made two pans of the hamburger pizza rolls.

Sadly, I didn't get any pictures on the drive up because it was either dark, or I was driving or I was asleep. Sarah got some. She will post them... or else.

This is the swimming pool at our motel room. We arrived, unloaded, got into our suits, went down the pool... got to swim a little bit and then? It thundered, and started raining, and lightening was everywhere.

This is the view from our second-story motel room of the pool. In the rain.

Joel didn't want to swim anyway.

I failed to get pictures at the rehearsal dinner. I also failed to get pictures at the wedding. I don't know what I was thinking! I was just enjoying it all... Mom and Sarah got some pictures. But Chris and Kristen wrote their own vows, and they were so sweet, I immediately wished that I had thought to get it on video!! *bangs head on desk* I also wish I'd recorded the toasts. The groomsmen were amusingly unanimous in their expressions of awe and shock that CHRIS was married the first out of all of them. And he apparently told one of the groomsmen (AJ) only about a year ago that he would purposefully schedule his wedding one day after AJ's just to make sure he won. And, uh... he lost. AJ said the purple shirt and tie (his groomsman attire) did NOT count as payment for the bet. :P

But I am getting ahead of myself. Before the wedding, we managed to swim in the pool after all. It was the perfect temperature water, and it was a nice sunny day. We all got nice sunburns. So we swam, and then ate lunch, got dressed, packed up and checked out of our motel room.

The wedding was beautiful, and very unique. Kristen carried a bouquet that I believe was composed of Gerbera Daisies. The bridesmaids were in deep purple, the groomsmen in light purple dress shirts and ties, and Chris was in a darker purple shirt and tie. (I really like the idea of having the groomsmen and groom in a color and not tuxes.) The daisies were bright pink, orange and yellow. It was all very sweet and refreshing.

The reception was a full dinner. It was very formally set up, but some people changed into more casual clothes. The men in the wedding party had to suffice with just changing from dress shoes into flip-flops.












The wedding party table.

First dance.

Cutting the cake. (Yes, like a stupid amateur photographer, I cut the cake out of the picture. Get over it.)

Feeding each other the cake. Chris suggested that they step back and try to toss it in each other's mouths... Kristen almost went for it, but didn't want to risk messing up Chris's shirt.

It was a really special trip. I'm so excited for Chris and Kristen. I wish they lived closer so that we could see them more often! Kristen really brings out the best in Chris. He's always been a great guy, and a really nice cousin, but he was usually reserved and Kristen gives him so much joy. I've never seen someone so altered (in a good way) by a special someone. I know they will have a great life together. I just hope they're around enough for me to see it. =D


And now... can you see the "I didn't get much sleep, and now we're going to travel through the night AGAIN?!?" behind Sarah's smile? We left Illinois at 8:30pm for NC. We got home this afternoon at 12:15pm.

I drove a grand total of 8 and a half hours, and 621 miles.

It was fun!

~Lizzie

10 random thoughts:

Meredith Ivy said...

It looks like fun, and those pizza rolls look delicious!

I don't know your cousin Chris or his new wife, but strangely enough, I do know someone else that was thinking about going up to Chicago for the same wedding I think. Do you know Mandy (Parker) Bartley?

Lizzie said...

Thanks, Meredith!

She doesn't sound familiar... and I also checked the program... but I don't think it could have been the same wedding, because we weren't quite in Chicago... it was about 2 hours south, in Champaign/Urbana. :)That would have been neat, though, if it were the same wedding!

Meredith Ivy said...

I actually just saw on my Facebook homepage where your mom and either you or Sarah were tagged in Donna Parker's album from the wedding and the graduation, and that is Mandy's mom, so I'm pretty sure it was the same wedding she was talking about... since her mom was at y'all's cousin's wedding.

Anyways though! It's not a big deal either way; I just thought it was sort of neat.

Have a great new week, Lizzie!

Lizzie said...

Oh, wow, how funny! That is so neat. I'm glad you brought it up.

Thanks, and I hope you do too! :)

Abigail said...

Weddings, I love weddings! Drinks all around! :P

Your pizza rolls look like they turned out great, I'll have to try making them sometime.

So, welcome back! :) I'm glad it was a safe/enjoyable-despite-sleep-deprivation trip. ;)

Sheila Hargett said...

Meredith, Mandy's mom and dad were the youth group leaders at Chris' church(and still are)when Chris was growing up, and the whole family are very special friends of his. But we just met them at the wedding(except Mandy, she didn't make it), thus the reason the name didn't sound familiar. Isn't that amazing that it was the same wedding!!! Small world, ugh! How do you know Mandy?

Meredith Ivy said...

Hi Mrs. Hargett, that's really neat how y'all just met them. Mandy and I both used to be involved with Albemarle Chrysalis, a Christian youth retreat in northeastern NC, and we lived one county apart. I've never met her parents though. It is a small world!

Sheila Hargett said...

Meredith, That ugh was supposed to be huh! :)

I was born and raised in Gates County. A lot of our relatives are still there.

Meredith Ivy said...

Mrs. Hargett,

Wow, that's neat you grew up in Gates! I've lived in Perquimans, Chowan, and Washington counties off and on when not living in VA. Most of my family is in Perquimans and Chowan counties.

What is your maiden name?

Sheila Hargett said...

Meredith, I was an Umphlett, my nephew that just got married is an Umphlett as well. Seems there is/were some Umphletts in Perquimans, but Dad never claimed kin... I'm thinking if you go back far enough we're all related! :)