BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, January 9, 2009

The Sequel to the Vacuum series.

Introducing: The CD Player of Sauron. My luck with electronics couldn't possibly be worse. Sometimes I think my pride in my Irish heritage gives me opposite luck. Or maybe the person who came up with "the luck o' the Irish" was being sarcastic, 'cause frankly, they don't seem very lucky to me.

So yes, before I explain the problem I will confess that I still own a CD player, despite the advent of iPods and their docks which were supposed to replace CD players, not to mention alarm clocks and decorative sculptures. I will also remind you that I don't own an iPod, (I have a Creative "Zen" MP3 player) which is why I don't own one of those nifty weird-shaped-alarm-clock-iPod-dock things that would make my life complete.

Whenever I listen to CD's in my outdated, miserable CD player, I now have to tolerate hic-up-jumps in the music. They have become so frequent that I really wouldn't have cared if the stupid player would just completely break and stop playing music. I removed the CDs and took the casing off, stripped half the screws, observed nothing fixable, dusted it out (how does dust get in there anyway?) and tried to put the casing back on. I nearly ruined the antenna, but that's okay, because I tried to play a CD (I honestly can't believe it still worked at all) and the hiccuping was worse. So much worse in fact, that I have completely given it up.

Oh, woe is me...

~Lizzie

4 random thoughts:

N said...

Ah, I still have a CD player too...two in fact, one radio, cassette, CD combo; and one portable CD player (which was really innovative when I got it!...makes me feel old!) I don't end up using them very often though. ;) It's usually easier to stick it in my computer.

Jessica said...

I still have a CD player too, but I mostly will just listen to music on my iTunes account or iPod. Though sometimes when my dad has our iPod Dock in his car I will use the CD player in the van to play my CDs. :) But don't worry...I share your frustration, except it was our last DVD player that gave us problems.

Jonathan David Page said...

Creative ZEN, hmm? Are you anti-Apple, or did you just like it better?

I still have a portable cassette/radio, so there you go.

Are the CDs clean? (If yes, is the lens clean?)

For me, it isn't CDs; it isn't DVDs; its the radio. This wouldn't be so bad if it didn't include WiFi. First law of radio reception: The quality of the reception varies inversely as the convenience of the antenna position.

Lizzie said...

Yeah, Natalie, I have one of those portable CD players too... I remember it being really cool. :P

No, I'm not anti-Apple, I just figured that a Zen was cheaper and had about the same features, so I went cheaper. Now I kinda wish I hadn't though, because everyone makes docks for iPod but there are hardly any docks for Zen, and if they are just "MP3" docks, it's hard to find out if it would work with my player or not. :|

Yeah, that's what I thought at first, that the CDs were dirty. But they're clean, and I'm not sure about the lens, because I can't see it. It's one of those CD players with the slot and you insert the CDs... not the tray kind. If that makes any sense... :)