BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 19, 2009

First Day of Spring Eve

It feels like Spring... really like Spring. Not like "Oh, it's 75 degrees outside in the middle of winter, gosh, this is like Spring already" fake Spring, but real Spring! Even when it started raining in the middle of our baseball game, it still felt like Spring. And I'm so ready for it.

I got a few flower seeds out shopping about a month ago, and yesterday, Mom got me a starter tray and lots more seeds! So I've got a nice start of six pods for each different kind of flower.


You can see the row of seeds that are uncovered... I didn't know that there were seeds that aren't supposed to be covered. But apparently Achillea (or Yarrow) seeds need light to germinate.

So all the seeds I have in my tray are Achillea, Snapdragons, African Daisies, Forget-me-nots, Carnations, Moss Roses, Black-eyed Susans, Shasta Daisies (like the boy in "The Horse and His Boy! Shasta... I wonder if that's where C. S. Lewis got it. I think it's a good girl's name. :P ), Johnny Jump Ups, Salvia, and two rows of Zinnias. And then I have two kinds of Sunflowers, Lupine, Foxglove and Nasturtium to plant directly in the ground sometime in late April.

And Mom just got the book "Lasagna Gardening" at Goodwill. I'm so excited about starting my flower gardens with the "lasagna" technique! And for those of you that know our front yard... don't you think it'd be nice to have a big gazebo surrounded by flowers in the middle of our front yard? (We have a pretty big, nearly empty front yard.) Vines of Moonflowers growing up the sides of the gazebo, surrounded by all kinds of flowers... and especially a rosebush or two... *sigh* I think it would be lovely. Now to get Daddy and the boys to build the gazebo... :D

3 random thoughts:

Jessica said...

I think a gazebo would be lovely. If you are facing away from the house, it should be about halfway between the house and the shed, off-center to the left, in my opinion.

I need a tray like that! I'd like to plant some flowers besides the herbs I have, but it is so much more satisfactory to grow them from seeds and transplant them yourself rather than buying them as seedlings or actually all the way grown. I feel a weekend project coming on... :)

Lizzie said...

That's exactly where I think it should be!! We're still the same person. :P

I love those trays! I think it was $7... I'm not sure though. But the good thing is once you have the tray, you can buy replacement pellets pretty cheap and just use it over and over. :)

Jonathan David Page said...

Happy First Day of Spring! Springitis is beginning to set in now... I need somewhere outside with an outlet and no builders...

Gazebos are nice... I can't say where to put it though. ;D