BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Prince Caspian = Awesome!

So here's my PC review.

Acting: I'm not really great at judging acting, but I thought it was good. Better than the first film. Not awesome though. I didn't notice anything particularly great about it, and nothing made me wince either. The four kids have gotten better at their acting, and everyone else cast were just good actors. It made everything nicer, and less painful than LWW. :)

Directing: I'm not a big fan of Andrew Adamson's directing. There's nothing wrong with it, I just don't care for it.

Digital Effects: These were really good. I have a strange obsession with CG stuff and I always notice when it doesn't look real. I didn't notice anything in this one. Probably the least realistic thing in there was the river god, and he really was OK, 'cause I've never seen a river god other than him. :D
Aslan was amazing. He was so big, and beautiful, and completely looked like he was really there.
There were moments when Reep looked less than perfect, but mostly, he was awesome!
The effects in this movie were better than the first film.

Music (score): I didn't really notice it, except when some one was actually singing. So that a good thing in my opinion. It means that it was good.

Cinematography: Very nice. No complaints on that one. I did kinda wonder about the lighting in the treasure room though...

Adaptation: First with the script. It was cheesy. Not as cheesy as the first film, but still cheesy. There were some good lines, and some funny lines, but they all seemed to have a bit of cheese sprinkled on 'em.
The best lines were the ones straight out of the book. I was so happy when they put Ed's line, "I left my torch in Narnia" in there! Also millions of other little details. The planets crossing paths at the beginning. The fireworks as Caspian runs away. The chess piece. The apples. Ed fighting Trumpkin. Trumpkin shooting the bear. Pattertwig actually being in the movie. Ed delivering the duel challenge to Miraz. Peter hurting his sheild arm during the duel. Peter walloping off the Telmarine lord's head. Aslan saying that because Caspian doesn't think he's ready to be king, he is. Reep losing his tail, and getting it back because the other mice are willing to cut off theirs. And some others I've forgotten.
There were some changes I didn't like, but some made sense. I didn't exactly like the night raid on the Telmarine castle, but if they had put in the movie only what was in the book, it would've been rather short.
Peter's character change I didn't really like. Making him so arrogant... but he got better, and it added drama to the movie. Which could be a good or a bad thing.
The change in Susan I liked even less. It wasn't necessary to make her fight. It only made the movie less realistic. (Like she could really be strong enough to throw an arrow hard enough to kill some one who's wearing armor!) Susan and Caspian's romance I didn't like either. It was very unnecessary. There was some stuff in the book that hinted at then flirting, so that was fine. The kiss was WAY to much though. I just hope that I still feel that Caspian's worthy of Ramandu's daughter in VotDT.
I was very sad when they didn't put the part where Lucy wakes everyone up in the middle of the night to follow Aslan, and Ed is the first to see him besides Lucy. That was a rather big change, making Aslan come in later. It was good, and it worked well. It's just too bad they didn't have that bit in there.
There was also some changes I liked. (amazing, right?) The calling back the White Witch scene wasn't all that different from the book, just more creative. It was a great moment for Edmund too. When he broke the ice, I just felt like shouting "go Edmund!!" Actually, there was alot of parts where I felt like doing that. :D
I imagine that it was extremely hard for them to adapt Prince Caspian, you can just read the book and tell. It's not cinematic at all. So they did good for what they had. Maybe they could've done better, but they did good.
The violence didn't bother me at all. It's nice when the violence is more realistic. It was actually closer to the book that way too.

Costumes: I liked the costumes. Everything was neat and creative. The difference between the Temarine costumes and the Narnian ones was very nice.

Makeup/Prosthetics: That was very nice too. I didn't care for Lucy's hair, but I got used to it fast. Caspians hair could've been dirtier, (the Narnians didn't have showers or shampoo after all.) And Susan's hair at the end didn't look great, (I think I have problems with curling hair) but it's OK.

Overall: It. Was. Awesome. There was a few thing I didn't like, but the huge amount of things I loved made up for them. I wish they hadn't made some of the changes they did, but it'll be alright. Edmund was great!! He is even more my favorite character now. I can hardly wait 2 years for him to be a more main character in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader!

--Sarah

2 random thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Preach it sister! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Random Digressors, I'm convinced to see 'Prince Caspian'. You do a very thorough review. The attention to detail is impressive. My blog, if you want to check it, is http://threeswans.blogspot.com. Feel free to comment. I'm a Christian, and I write. You don't have to care what I think, but you could make me really happy if you read my Christian novel and commented on it. The title is "Outcasts Of Skagaray". To get an idea what it is like, go to www.threeswans.com.au and read the sample chapters. If you like the Narnia books, you might find this one a bit like them. But whatever happens, I wish you well. Blessings.