BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Ugh.... is like, the theme of my life right now.

*elaborate cough* *wheeze* *gasp for air* *pants* *returns to semi-but-not-really-normal breathing* Okay, so I definitely got the cold. I swam yesterday... probably a bad idea. I was going to swim today too, but Daddy and 2 of my friends talked me out of it. So I sat around and watched. And I missed water polo. *sob* I love water polo. :(

I'm feeling much better than I did earlier though.... so I guess it's a good thing that I didn't swim.

Anyway, this might be TMI for some of you, so read at your own risk, but I was just musing about how colds progress. For me, they usually start out with a sore throat. And I always think that I can get rid of it before it moves on to my sinuses. Never happens... I think all the tinctures and herbs I take merely force the germs to a different location. But that's okay, because by the time they move, I'm ready for them to just LEAVE MY THROAT ALONE. Scratchiness gets so irritating. And then, about the time that the trashcan in my room is completely full of tissues, I'm ready for the cough stage. Anything to not use ANOTHER box of tissues. Coughing is so convenient... you only need to cover your mouth with your hand (or, the way that spreads less germs, coughing into the crook of your elbow) and not carry around a lifetime supply of Kleenex. The problem is that the coughing stage doesn't leave nearly so obligingly as the other two stages. Coughing stays with me. I guess it knows that once it leaves I'll finally be well again. And certainly, being in a prayer meeting and needing to cough so bad that you start choking and tearing up in an attempt to keep from disrupting the meeting with you nerve-wracking, hacking cough is annoying as well. But, still, better than the itch and the roller-suitcase full of tissue boxes.

~Lizzie

5 random thoughts:

Jessica said...

That's exactly how my colds seem to progress...and it's funny because I think about the whole "going through different stages of colds" too. The thing is, I usually also will get a throbbing headache around the time of the sore throat, and a lot of the times I will just randomly have this "I tried to swallow a giant vitamin and now it's stuck in my lower esophagus and won't go down" feeling. That's absolutely miserable, and just started happening last New Years when I had the flu.

But now I've determined never to get sick again!! Well, like mental determination is going to do anything to my immune system...*sigh*

Lizzie said...

Oh, I get that "I tried to swallow a giant vitamin and now it's stuck in my lower esophagus and won't go down" feeling! Usually after I take a giant vitamin and it's stuck in my lower esophagus and won't go down. But I've never gotten it without the assistance of a vitamin. That must be horrible. I did get this sore throat that felt like a huge wad of cotton was stuck in the back of my throat with a couple of needles wedged in though.

My mental determination certainly didn't work. I was determined not to get sick, even though all my siblings were sick. And then I got sick, and decided that I was just going to decide to not be sick and swim anyway, and that didn't work either.

Jessica said...

Don't you just hate giant vitamins? They're so horribly intimidating. And then, once you put them in your mouth, it's like your throat refuses to let it go down, but you're trying to swallow it anyways, so it gets even more stuck than it already would have had your throat not been completely resisting it...ugh...

Lizzie said...

Exactly. :|

N said...

Oh boy, I usually don't have the sinus trouble. I usually get a sore throat first (that's how I can tell whether I'm sick or not!), then the runny nose, and then the month-long coughing.

Thankfully I haven't gotten this cold yet...I really think I would have gotten it by now if I was going to. The baby I take care of has had it, and I've had little kids at church right up in my face coughing and such.

BESIDES, I don't intend to get it...so there. lol! :P

I hope you all feel better soon though. :)