BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, February 16, 2009

Broadway is losing it!!

What do you think of when someone mentions Broadway? I think of "Wicked" and "West Side Story." "The Little Mermaid" and "The Lion King" (even though I'm kinda undecided about the respectability of those two). And, my ultimate, all-time favorite, "Phantom of the Opera." "Shrek the Musical"?? NO!! No, no, no, no, no!!!! The stupidest children's movie ever! How about "Monsters Inc" or "Toy Story"? Both of which would be bad enough on Broadway! Intelligent people do NOT pay $85 - $135 (just a guesstimate) for a CHILD'S show! Are you going to take little Johnny and Emily up to NYC and pay more than $500 to let them see something they won't even appreciate? Are YOU going to want to see a "baby" Broadway show?

Jessica told me about Shrek going on Broadway at swimming (was it last week?) and we were disgusted enough then. Jessica, you need to look at the Broadway listings. Decent shows (like Phantom) are the MINORITY. Guess what else I found is on Broadway? "You're Welcome America. A Final Night With George W. Bush" starring Will Ferrel. Are you KIDDING me?!?!?

The final blow: Phantom is going OFF Broadway.

Broadway, you have officially lost ALL my respect and the respect of every decent American who still knows what a good show is. You have crumbled under the pressure to dumb down and become nothing better than extremely expensive mind-congealing TV muck on a stage. And by the way, what in the WORLD were you thinking with Ariel's costume for "The Little Mermaid"?

Well, I was going to post a picture so those of you who may not have The Little Mermaid videos on YouTube could understand what I was talking about. But I guess I'll have to post a video. *huge sigh* Like those instruction manuals that warn that toasters are hot, I feel compelled to mention that her top consists of two, um... shells.



And now after watching that video, I have another rant. First of all, I can't believe that they twisted the story so that SHE is the one who saves the day and that the actress says it's important in our day and age. I would say that our day and age makes it MUCH MORE important that the MAN still be the hero. And secondly, I always have and always will hate the line in that song, "maybe on land, they understand, that they don't reprimand their daughters... bright young women, sick of swimming, ready to stand..." She is not bright; she's disobedient and... and I don't remember the story very well, but she deserves a lot more than a reprimand. So there.

~Lizzie

2 random thoughts:

Jessica said...

I was wondering when this was going to come. :P

Well, I never even looked at the non-musical Broadway listings. I don't even associate non-musicals as being part of Broadway, but I guess that is just me. When I think of Broadway, Phantom definitely comes to mind, along with Lion King, and a few others that aren't even on Broadway right now, like Les Miserables and Hairspray. I completely agree with your dumbed-down Broadway rant and wish to add nothing else to it.

Now that song will be stuck in my head for a while. But her costume is ridiculous! I would never want to wear it in a million years. And I never knew that they changed the plot. That is SO stupid! I will refrain from ranting about that on the comments here because I am very tired, plus that deserves my own blog post. But seriously....I am going to a distant planet and starting my own radical culture with you and all my other non-feminist friends.

I guess that line in the song is meant to be "inspiring", but I think it shows how rebellious and disobedient is. I mean, thoughts like that constitute rebellion, right?

N said...

Oh good grief!

What was really scaring me is that as annoying as a Disney cartoon mermaid might be, this girl was real and acting the same way! Aaaahhhhh!!! :D