BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, February 2, 2009

Memory skillz

I used to be able to recall almost any interesting circumstance in the past 2 years or so with certainty. Someone could mention something that someone said at such and such a day, and I could say, "Oh yeah, so and so said..." and proceed to relate the entire conversation, who was there and what we doing. And then my friends would look at me as if I'd just played back a hologram video like R2-D2 does in Star Wars.

It's not that I cared that I was being compared to a droid from an unrealistic space movie. I didn't try to stop remembering so well. But somehow I did, and my memory is reduced to recalling adults first names (despite always calling them "Mr. ____" and "Mrs. ____" and only hearing their first names once or twice) and random telephone numbers.

Someday I'll probably be a parent asking MY child "What's so-and-so's mom's name?" and asking for someone's telephone number. Hopefully by then I will have forgotten my own former memory skills or else it will be very frustrating for me.

Actually, it's already frustrating. What WERE we doing when that person had an opportunity to say whatever it was that they said? And what was it that they said, and why was it so funny???

*sigh*
~Lizzie

2 random thoughts:

Jessica said...

I know! It's like, all of a sudden you turn 17 and all your memory skills slowly fade away (taking a few months to totally leave the premises, of course, so that you don't really realize they are going till they are all but gone). Again I have to say that Kara is on to something about this whole being old thing.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it drives me crazy!