BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Driving.

I was just thinking of a few weird/funny things that have happened to me involving driving.... and I think we need another post.

A couple weeks ago my sister and I were going to theatre class, and it was dark out. We were just blaring Switchfoot and I was going about 70 mph (on 540 - the speed limit is 65... so I wasn't really speeding, just FYI. :P). Then suddenly I saw this strange looking thing in the road. I swerved because there were no other cars around me, but I didn't swerve in time, and my left front tire hit the thing, and threw the left side of the car up in the air for a millisecond. The mysterious thing was a LADDER. Strangely enough the car was fine... (I love Volvos); the tire didn't even go flat.

Also a couple of weeks ago, I was driving home from swim practice with my dad in the passenger seat. I was in the center lane, and there was a truck in the right lane going kinda slow. There was a huge line of cars behind the truck, so I decided to pull over in the left lane so some of them could get over if they wanted. Just as I pulled into the left lane, Daddy noticed a cop a ways up in the distance on the side of the road and suggested that I get back in the middle lane. I was checking my blind spot getting ready to change lanes, when I noticed..... a chair in the middle lane. It was the kind of chair you might have in your living room, cushion and all, wrapped in plastic. Since I couldn't possibly pull over, I slowed WAY down to pass the cop. And the rest of the drive was without incident.

Lastly, two days ago. I drove myself to Chemistry class in our Suburban (that thing is huge!) and when I arrived at Homelight, I tried to get into the first parking space I saw. Unfortunately though, I had to do basically a U-turn to get into it, and there was a median in the way of swinging out as much as I needed to. To keep from hitting the red bug in the space next to mine, I had to hit the curb on the other side of the parking space. When my back tire hit the curb, I backed out to try to get into position... but my front tire hit the curb coming out! I was basically stuck with the corner of the curb under the Suburban. So I went forward and back a few times, and finally managed to get out of the space, and go park elsewhere. As I was backing out of the space, I saw one of the guys in my Chemistry class, sitting in his car (perfectly parked) staring at me with his jaw hanging. *sniff* He had a little Honda.... of course he doesn't have trouble parking. :P

Anyway, I guess I thought of that because I can get my full license tomorrow. It'll have no restrictions: just say that I'm under 18. Woo!! lol.

~Lizzie

11 random thoughts:

Jessica said...

My dad calls that a 13-point turn.

I hope you have better luck in the future--and thanks a lot for that post *sniffle* it's a huge encouragement for those of us out there who are afraid of driving and anything associated with it and refuse to upgradge from anything than their learners permits!! *cough*

Allie said...

Haha. I love driving stories. You should have seen me at Starbucks the other day. Before I left home, Dad (in typical Dad fashion) told me to try to avoid parking around a bunch of cars. What he didn't realize was that it was around lunchtime. The lot was full. Thankfully, I managed to find a 5 minute only space (which was all I needed to get coffee), but of course I had to finagle my way into it. And then backing up was fun since I was sandwiched between 2 of those WONDERFUL suburbans. But I survived! :P

Jess, you need to get your license. The freedom is WONDERFUL!!!! Believe me, as scary as getting it might be, it's worth it.

Lizzie said...

Jess: lol. That's about what it was.... 13 points. *choke* :P
I wasn't aware that you were refusing to upgrade from your permit... somehow I was under the impression that was more you parents idea. Your permit is expiring this August, isn't it?

Allie: That sounds delightful.... lol.

Anonymous said...

You take chemestry at Homelight? as in Wake Forest Homelight?

Lizzie said...

Yep, I take Chemistry at Homelight in Wake Forest. Why?

Anonymous said...

Haha..thats cool...thats where i teach guitar.

Lizzie said...

Oh, really? That's cool. When are you there?

Anonymous said...

Thursdays 11:30-5:00

Lizzie said...

Wow, that's a lot of teaching. Kudos to you.

Jessica said...

Question: what exactly are kudos anyways?

My parents won't buy me a CAR, that's the problem (I would like one for when I start working in August or whenever). And I also blamed them for me not having a license, until a few days ago dad up and said that he was thinking of taking me to the DMV soon for that very purpose. He wants me to drive myself to Wake Tech so he doesn't have to wake up at 6 to get ready to go on time. The problem is that I've all of a sudden downed a dose of reality, and realizing the actualness (not a word, I don't think) that I may actually be driving on my own soon. It's just really scary (to me) because I don't really have a lot of experience because I really don't like driving that much.

But I shall previal!!!

Lizzie said...

Um.... I have no idea what kudos are. All I know is that giving someone kudos is supposed to be a good thing. :P

I was really scared of driving at first too, but it's pretty fun when you don't have parents freaking out next to you. I'm just grateful that I've never hit someone else. :P I've learned to laugh at my mistakes while I learn from them. In driving anyway.