BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Today I Am.

I've been thinking about a quote from "When God Writes Your Love Story" by Eric and Leslie Ludy ever since I finished the book who-knows-how-long ago. Krissy Ludy (Eric's sister) is 31 and still single. 18 years ago she chose to remain faithful to her future husband and wait patiently for God to bring him into her life. When asked by her brother, Marky, "Krissy, do you think you're called to singleness?" she paused, reflected a moment, then replied, "Today I am."

I didn't understand how someone could be called to singleness temporarily. It seemed to me that there were people who were called to singleness permanently (like Paul of the Bible) and people who were called to marriage, but were single because the right person wasn't in their life yet. How could she say that "today" she was called to singleness? But after pondering it subconsciously since I finished the book, I finally understand. God may mean for me to be married someday; I don't really know. Until then, He has called me to singleness. I am single now, and maybe I'm meant to be single my whole life. But I don't have to look that far ahead. Today, He has called me to singleness. And today, I am content.

I took Sarah to her art lesson, and went grocery shopping like I usually do on Thursdays. Mornings at grocery stores seem to be mostly moms with young children. Almost every shopping cart has a little car seat, or a little one big enough to sit in the shopping cart seat. I can't resist smiling at kids when I notice that they're looking at me, but they usually don't smile back. They might keep watching, or they might go shy and look away.

Today, though, there was an adorable little boy twisted around backwards in his shopping cart seat to watch me. I was quite flattered, and smiled like I usually do. And he actually smiled back! So I kept smiling at him, he kept smiling back, and kinda ducked his head, like he was shy, still smiling. He was so cute. And then his mom looked up from tucking a blanket around his little sister in her car seat, and smiled when she saw him smiling at me and asked him, "are you flirting?" and hurried off before I recovered my senses enough to tell her that he was adorable.

The most interesting thing was that he looked like me. His hair was exactly the same straw-berry blonde that my hair was when I was about his age. So from now on, whenever I think about my future kids, that's what they'll look like. :P

~Lizzie

2 random thoughts:

Jessica said...

That's one of the things that stood out to me from that book too! I thought it was a very insightful thing for her to say.

Aww...I love little kids....and you know every time I see one, I frown and say, "I want one!" Well, the time will come. I'm not called to have kids at this time... :P

Anna Taylor said...

I love little kids! We have some of the cutest kids over at Duke. They are just adorable with there small violins!:)

btw, I tagged you!
Anna