BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.

21So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God's law; 23but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. 24What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.
- Romans 7:21-25

18If I rebuild what I destroyed, I prove that I am a lawbreaker. 19For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!
- Galatians 2:18-21

I've been pondering those verses. I'm not sure that I fully understand them.

"Jesus, I'm trying so hard, to stop trying so hard; just let You be who You are in me." Casting Crowns

~Lizzie

2 random thoughts:

Chris said...

the galations verse, i believe that the thing paul is saying he would rebuild/destroy is the Jewish Law. that is, it is a rheotorical point about the uselessness of following the Law as a christian.
peter was sinning against new Gentile believers first by avoiding them and secondly by requiring them to obey old Jewish laws. it was one thing for Jewish christians to do so, although it wasn't necessary and probably not helpful (this is overall the main point of the whole book of Galations from what I recall). but it was not profitable for Gentiles to try and live up to the law, which as paul says elsewhere, was given to prove our sin.

"if righteousness could be gained through the law, christ died for nothing." so don't adhere to the law.
instead, die to the law and live by faith in Christ.

Lizzie said...

Thanks, Chris. That really helps and you explained it so well that it actually makes sense to me.

Good to *see* you! =D