BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 4, 2008

Vacuums

I loathe vacuums. Some of you may remember my previous issues with this vacuum (since my sanity is already on the edge of a very steep cliff, I'm not going to link to that old post. If you're really that bored, you can find it yourself).

All manuals are meant to be lost or discarded immediately after any necessary instructions have been absorbed. Most instruction manuals contain only the most useless information anyway. "Warning: Toaster may become hot after use." "Warning: Keep fingers and toes away from the cutting blade of the lawnmower." The instruction manual to our vacuum cleaner was no exception.

So considering that the typical maintenance like changing the bag and pulling out all the hair (did you know that the average person loses 100 hairs a day? Yep. I gather that that makes about 300 hairs that are over 1 and a half feet long that wrap around the roller brush of the vacuum) are rather simple tasks, I determined that I probably wouldn't need the manual, and promptly lost it somewhere in the piles of manuals that Mom insists we keep.

Even when one of the belts came off, I didn't need the manual. Or at least, I figured I didn't. I mean, sure, I broke out in a sweat, worked myself into a headache, snapped a couple pencils and needed a very long screwdriver, but I did manage to replace the belt. It fell off again recently and today I finally got around to trying to fix it. Only this time, I figured that maybe it fell off because I did something wrong. So I looked up the manual on the internet. (Yeah, I know, I'm a genius.) And, no, I definitely replaced it right. As a matter of fact, I think I've figured out a better position for all the right leverage and everything than the one they suggested. Hopefully that doesn't affect the application. *groan*

So, anyway. I determined that the reason the belt came off must have been because it's stretched out. It's a good inch bigger than the replacement belt that the manufacturers helpfully included. Therefore, I decided to put in the replacement belt instead of the original belt. And this has been an even worse experience than replacing the original belt. (duh... it's an inch smaller!) The manual isn't very helpful either. It only says, "Extra effort may be required to stretch belt onto pulley." No kidding!

I'm pretty sure that the manufacturers didn't test replacing the belt. Either that or they had a robot test it. *pouts* I'm going to get rid of my carpet. Then I can just sweep. And I think I totally said the same thing last time.

~Lizzie

Edit: Daddy got it on! Yay!! Thank you, Daddy. :)

0 random thoughts: