BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Move the Picture

You've probably heard of the horrible scandal involving Abercrombie & Fitch at Triangle Town Center mall. (link) A group of people are spending this weekend outside the mall, handing out flyers and asking mall-goers to consider signing a "Move the Picture" petition, contacting mall representative and A&F to register complaints, and to not shop at the mall until this picture is removed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting the picture removed. I'm just wondering, "why now, and why A&F?" I mean, has anyone walked by Victoria's Secret recently? This is from their site: "As a side note, many people have said, "Why not target Victoria's Secret?" "Is it because this is a man?" No... we want all sexually explicit pictures in the windows of mall stores to be moved so that CHILDREN don't have to see them."
So why haven't they objected to Victoria's Secret already? Victoria's Secret has been displaying inappropriate ads ever since the mall was built (which, if I remember correctly, was in 2003, 5 years ago).

Better late than never I guess. But it certainly makes the job harder. For example, they're now citing the mall's own policy, "In order to help ensure a pleasant shopping environment, we ask all visitors to refrain from the following: ... 12. .......wearing clothing or lack of clothing.......that offends community standards of decency or that impinges on the sensitivities of others in the mall." This has been in place ever since 2003, and Victoria's Secret has been "impinging" on my sensitivities the whole time. No one complained. At least, not on this scale. And now, all of a sudden, they're jumping all over A&F. No wonder the mall is reluctant to comply.

I'm not sure what to do. I have yet to sign my name to this petition. By my previous silence about my opinion of Victoria's Secret, I think I've lost my right to complain. I'll only seem like another of the masses picking on A&F. And I'm still not convinced that there isn't more to this than just another bad picture.

~Lizzie

2 random thoughts:

Chris said...

i think that is a healthy dose of skepticism without comprimising your principles.

good job.

Anonymous said...

yea our mall has the same a&f picture...its definitely sketchy. But i think that victorias secret and guess posters are really bad too. (or worse!) i mean their both bad but...u know what i mean.