BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Barbie

I was just cleaning off my bookcase and found one of my old Barbies. My sister and I spent hours of our childhood playing with these dolls. I never really understood why my dad disliked them so until just now, when I suddenly realized how fake Barbie looks. And I don't mean in the sense that she's made of plastic.


Everything about her is impossibly "perfect." Impossibly thick and perfect hair, flawless skin, a completely impossible figure (which the dress disguises as more believable) and ridiculously long legs considering her that they are almost 2/3's of her entire height.

This is to show how ridiculously small her waist is.

Her eyes are freakishly huge with a permanent sparkle, her nose too small to allow adequate breath, and her mouth is set off by one perfect tooth. And you can't see it in this picture, but in each cheek she has one perfect, delicate dimple.

This was my "me" doll. Given the unvarying face and figure, what made her "look like" me was the green eyes and red hair. I didn't consciously think it, but somewhere inside, I always thought I'd grow up to look exactly like her, from the large green eyes, nearly invisible nose and perfect dimples to the tiny waist. But certainly minus the plastic lines.

Never mind that as a child I was short, pudgy and had the crookedest teeth ever. Not to mention no sign of dimples (my brother Joel got them). Oh, and did I mention my freckles?

With a role-model like Barbie, it's no wonder there are so many girls who are starving themselves and getting plastic surgery to try and achieve a Barbie-like "perfection." I'm not sure if Barbies are still popular. It's been a long time since I've meandered down the sparkly pink toy aisle at Wal-Mart. But I hope that little girls aren't still being inundated with this false view of beauty. Barbie should at least have room in her tiny torso for internal organs.

~Lizzie

8 random thoughts:

N said...

No, what's popular now are those disgusting Bratz dolls! Bleah.

Jessica said...

Well, I'll have to say that, while I played with my share of Barbies when I was little, I never really thought about growing up and looking like them at all. I understood they were an idealized body-type at some point because my mom explained that that was why a lot of my friends weren't allowed to play with them. But even before then I just saw Barbies as any other toy, like stuffed animals or American Girl dolls.

Also, my Barbies were never quite perfect. Most of them had crazy hair because I would brush it or cut it, their faces would often be smuged, scratched, or drawn-on with magic marker, and they were all a little gimpy because I had a tendency to bend them in all these odd positions...

Jessica said...

Oh, and I hate Bratz dolls! They are absolutely abhorable and really don't set a good example for young girls...wear lots of makeup...have hot boyfriends...go clubbing...be famous...woohoo. Barbies are nothing compared to Bratz.

N said...

Yeah, I'd say the Bratz are worse because it's actually possible to be like them (sort of)...I don't know. I never really thought that I wanted to be like my Barbie dolls, but my parents probably pointed out how silly they were and I just don't remember it.

Lizzie said...

Wow. After a little research, I have to agree. Bratz seem much worse.

Anonymous said...

yea bratz are the worst. I like old old barbie dolls..like i have a reproduction of one from 1962 and its need because im into the the retro outfit thing!

Anonymous said...

i can't even type! i meant "it's neat" not "need" lol

Lizzie said...

Oh, that's cool!!!