BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, September 19, 2008

Ugh.

We just finished watching "Middlemarch." I usually like those "Jane Austen-y" type movies, but this one wasn't Jane Austen-y at all, although it pretended to be. It was about 6 hours of absolute torture, for a merely tolerable ending. For the first half, Sarah and I got so tired of it, that we were begging one of the characters to die. And every time the scene changed we would say, "Oh, he's dead! Aw.. no, he's not." He did finally die though, and we burst into cheers. We did the same thing with another character in the second half. A bad guy was going to let another man die, and Sarah said, "Oh, he's bad! But I'm glad he's killing that guy." All the characters were so annoying, I wouldn't have been sad to see the whole town blown up at the end. Or even in the middle to save me all that time. Better yet, right at the beginning would have been good. Or maybe even NEVER MAKING THE MOVIE. That would have been perfect.

I'm not sure what is about Jane Austen, but while her characters have flaws, at least there's something about them that makes me like them anyway. None of her characters are perfect. Except maybe Jane Bennet in Pride and Prejudice. But the people in this movie.... ugh. I didn't like any of them. I think Middlemarch might have just displaced 2001 Space Odessey for "the worst movie I've ever seen."

*chokes* Must see Pride and Prejudice.....

~Lizzie

4 random thoughts:

Olivia Joy said...

LOL!!! absolutely hilarious review!!
I must agree dear! Middlemarch is not one of my favorites.....you should see North and South. It's pretty good :)

Lizzie said...

I think I have seen North and South! I loved it. It's second only to the 6-hour version of Pride and Prejudice for my favorite "Jane Austen-y" movie. :D

Anonymous said...

2001: A Space Odessey? I agree...one of the worst movies I've ever had to sit through because my dad said it was some sort of epic or something. Note to self: don't listen to dad anymore.

Yes...I saw commercials on TV last night for Pride and Prejudice and I'm dying to watch it again...I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. I'm listening to the soundtrack now ;)

Lizzie said...

Yeah.... my dad loves it. And so does Coach... It must be a dad thing. I'm sure I don't understand.

We just watched Pride and Prejudice! The short version. I had to see it.... *relieved sigh* Now the horrible effects of Middlemarch are erased. :P